14 April, 2006

Back in the saddle again

Home again in mendoland after a week in ATL for The National Cable Show.

As “one of those” (tech nerd) trade shows like NCTA (mostly programming and regulatory) are not my true venue however when you have such interesting juxtapositions as the Gospel Music Channel stuck behind Hustler TV and next to Penthouse TV (O.K. - I’ll concede 2 points for ‘creative layout’ but I’ll say it again in case you didn’t read it the first time - ITS ALL SHOWBIZ!).

The content shows do have the best swag though, for me the bet one this year is a nifty, tinny universal IR TV, Sat & cable remote, about the size of a half dollar, has only three buttons and two rocker (volume and channel up/down) switches but as far as I’ve been able to test (walking around the show and turning off or changing channels), so far worked on any set I’ve tried, great for the sports bar (got to watch Discovery) more fun than Mitch Altman’s
  • “TV off” fob
  • which just turns them off.

    Random show note, one of the stranger shows I’ve done is the NRB (The National Religious Broadcasters) convention, after all, everyone there is in a literal mission from god.

    Some observations, the bar was never crowded. They would congregate at the top and bottom of the escalator or in the narrow portions of the hall with no regard to anyone else’s desire for passage, after all, they are all on a mission from god.

    When coming in before the exhibits opened to turn up the equipment there was a prayer meeting going on in my booth (in tongues no less, while my language skills outside English are limited to ordering beer and inquiring directions to dispose of said. The former I manage to master in quick order, the latter has the universal sign language of jumping up and down on one leg and holding the required portion of my anatomy - for some reason its always down the hall to the left - and there are some who will argue that my mastery of English is not much better – suffice it to say I’ve heard a lot of different languages and that ain’t one that anyone else uses) and they all want it donated!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment